Come on, meet my newest treasure.

(At this point, she kinda looks like Fred from the Cars movie... me thinks she could use a little "rust-eeze")
I've been wanting one of these old metal gliders FOR. EVAH. My great Aunt Effie was about to send this one off to the scrap metal place, and I was only TOO happy to take her off their hands!

I sanded, and sanded, and sanded some more....till I was sore all over. I'm pretty sure I burned several thousand calories.
(I figure I earned that big fat gooey brownie.)
After sanding like a mad woman, I primed it with Rustoleum primer, then gave her a good coat of "Celery" by Krylon. Then, naturally, I sanded some of it back off in spots to show some of that rusty goodness. Can't have it looking too new and shiny - that would ruin it's character.
Then we proudly set her right smack dab on the front porch.

Ain't she purty?

A twin size ruffled sheet over a piece of foam made a dandy cushion...without me having to sew a single stitch.

I totally LOVE this thing! And it makes the most delicious creaky sound when it rocks :)
(By the way, dontcha just LOVE the house across the street?)
Aunt Effie was also sending a neat old wringer washing machine to the dump.
Well, what's a girl to do?
I told her I'd take it!!
(this is the part where my sweet hubby was banging his head against the wall...)
Now, I need some ideas...what should I do with it?
Oh, and if you need me....I'll be out on the porch.
I'm linking up with Chari's Finished Object Friday!

16 comments:
When I saw the first picture of your glider I thought, "wonder what her husband says when she drags all this stuff home." :) Old wringer washers make great planters.
WHYOHWHY is my name not Aunt Effie??? Love that.
Adore the glider, and the yard, and the porch, and the trees, and the neighborhood, and all of the little glimpses into your home as I look around your blog, simply lovely.
She's a beauty!
Many Blessings,
M.
Your porch is gorgeous and that glider is TDF!! I would so love to have a porch like that and the house across the street is so pretty! Oh, how nice to be able to sit there on a sweet little glider drinking lemonade and looking at the lovely sights. Do I sound just a tad bit jealous? Nah, I'm really not, I'm just glad for you that you have such a lovely little parsonage. You did a great job on that glider, btw. Hugs, Cindy S
When I saw the first picture of the glider I thought not even Mrs. Fogleman can help that thing! lol, but wow you did a great job! It looks fabulous!
Girl, you earned a whole pan of brownies!!! :) I love it. Wow, it was pretty rough before - but oh, what you did with it! :) Can I come join you for a glass of Southern iced tea? :)
Chari,
I was just sittin' out there WISHING I had some fresh sweet tea :) (I was totally out - bummer...)
But I did have my newest Southern Living mag, and I'd be happy to share that with ya! Come on over ;)
I'll bring the tea and brownies if you let me sit out there for a little while. It is lovely!
That does sound like fun! :)
You've done it again. If I had brought that thing home my sweet hubby would think I'd totally lost my mind this time around. LOL It turned out lovely. I adore the house across the street too!!
I'm coming!!! Save a place for me on the glider..I just love gliders.
Brittany it is so gorgeous!
You really created a thing of beauty to admire for years to come. I absolutely love it! :)
Okay~~so when are we all comin' over for a glass of lemonade and lemon cookies?? Good Golly... you are amazing. Can I please have just a bit of your energy? I am sure you can spare some! ;) Nancy from OHIO
Now that is what summertime is all about!! :)
You did have me kind of worried when I saw the first picture LOL
I "introduced" you to my sister and she now thinks you're just as fabulous as I do! ;)
I love it! I have always wanted one too! I have been looking and looking at flea markets to no avail. I love your neighbors too! I thought that then read your comments. LOL You should post more pictures of your neighborhood. We would love to see them!
Okay, I know jealousy is a sin, but, oh why can't I ever find one of those? : ) I want one too! LOVE IT! You did an awesome job!
Post a Comment