Thursday, June 18

Fluffing in the Kitchen...


I love corbels. I've always wanted to put big beautiful corbels in my kitchen. But....have you priced those things lately? I just wasn't willing to shell out a hundred bucks for a chunk of beautifully carved wood. So, you know me...I had another plan. A cheaper plan.

I found these shelves, yes shelves, mind you, in Hobby Lobby's clearance aisle. When I saw them my wheels started spinning.
A little paint, some antiquing here and there, and now I finally have my "corbels". Love 'em! (even if they're not the real thing...)

We've also been doing some more shifting around, we moved our dining room table into the kitchen. That made enough room in the living room for me to bring my piano home, which is of colossal importance. The whole keyboard thing just wasn't cutting it for me. Here's the way you saw it last....

Oh, wait...one more thing. I spruced up my toile panels to look all customy fancy-like. All it took was 2 dollars worth of gingham, some trim, and a hot glue gun. Voila - custom drapes, Brittany style.

And here's the way the kitchen looks now...
Actually, we have more room around the table in here than we did when it was in the "dining area" of the living room. And I'm loving my "new" chairs. Next on the to do list is to refinish the table, and I'm afraid that's gonna be a doozy. (That's why it still isn't done) So that's what I've been up to - I have lots of room around my table, I have my piano back, and all's right with the world.

I just can't believe it! Nancy at Southern Lady featured my kitchen project on her blog today! She is such a gracious Southern lady and it's been so much fun getting to know her through her blog. To see her post, click here. Also, just thought I'd add if you want to see all of the before and afters of the kitchen, you can click here.

I'm gonna cheat and use this post as my Finished Object Friday for this week! (don't tell anybody I actually posted this on Thursday...) Go over to the Chari Tree to see more cute finished projects. She makes the. cutest. bags. ever. I just love 'em!

22 comments:

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I came by after seeing you on Nancy's blog. She was right...this is a lovely kitchen!!! You have done a beautiful job!!! The shelves are a great idea...I love them!!!

I am so glad that I stopped by...I will be back!!!

Enjoy the day!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I had to come back to say that I think your boys are darling...just darling!!!

XOXO
Cathy

Missy Wertz said...

Came over here from Nancy's site. Beautiful job! I am in Hoover, AL. Nice to meet you.

Sandra said...

I came over from Nancy's blog. I love your transformation in your kitchen! Your wall color looks like mine in my kitchen. I love your red and white toile curtains too. I have red and white toile curtains as well. :)
I hope you don't mind me following you. I just added myself. :)
Blessings,
Sandra

Stacey said...

Hi Brittany! I came over from Nancy's to check out your kitchen. It looks amazing. I love the cabinets, the paint, the pulls, and my heart pounds over your drapes!! Wow. :)

Four Paws and Co said...

I dropped by for a visit from Nancy's blog. Love your "new" kitchen! It's a great look & one I'd like to do with my kitchen. Your curtains were pretty before & really awesome now! Great job! ☺ Diane

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hey Brittany,

I love the shelves you did!!! My wheels just don't turn that way, when I need them to..lol ;) ...I would have come home and then, thought of somewhere to use them and have to make another trip to get them! ;)

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I came via Nancy, what a nice job you did !!!

Very nice to meet you :)

Kathy :)
jokaj@comcast.net

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Brittany,
I came over from Nancy's blog. IT is so nice to meet you! Your kitchen is gorgeous. We have alot of the same taste. I have toile curtains like yours in my dining room. I love red transferware too. I have two blogs.
www.thecomfortsofhome.blogspot.com which is my home decorating blog and
www.lavenderhillstudio.blogspot.com which is my mosaic blog...

Come visit when you have time!
Penny

Beth in NC said...

I came over from Nancy's place. I LOVE your kitchen! You are so creative! I would have never thought of using those shelves like that! And the curtains look great!

Kim said...

Well, Nancy was right - it is a beautiful transformation. Don't you just love Nancy? She is one of my favorite bloggers and now I'll be following you too!!
Kim

Lisa said...

What a wonderful transformation! You guys are renovation geniuses! Great post!

Andrea said...

Way to Go, Brittany! Being featured, that's awesome!
Of course, everything does look wonderful. I love the drapes!

Sue said...

Hi Brittany,
So nice to meet you, I have enjoyed reading your blog. you are very talented. I love the changes you have made.
Blessings,
Sue

trish said...

Good Morning Brittany~
I know I have mentioned before how darling your home is ... but I had to drop in this morning again. :o) I adore what you have done in your kitchen! I would love to know if you purchased your drapes, or if you sewed them yourself? I love toile and have had a hard time finding them at a "good" price. :o) I am like you with wanting to watch my pennies. :o) Your shelves look fantastic! What a great idea! I love the look antiquing gives.
You really have done a lovely job!
My kitchen chairs are on my project for painting, I am going with a cream color (today is payday-looks out Kilz and spray paint isle-smile).
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Anonymous said...

But where is your scrapbooking desk? lol Everything looks very nice!!

Rhonda

Angie said...

What a fabulous idea! Love your kitchen!!! I have a red kitchen also with a red and gold toile valance, so we must have similar tastes. I love the feet on your cabinets and have been wanting to do the same thing. I am going to show these pics to my husband. The finish on your cabinets and beadboard is perfect!

Shirley said...

Hey Britt, I'm impressed with your corbels, even though I can't pronounce the word. Thanks for educating me. Seriously, they are beautiful. I love the look. And congratulations on the invitation to share on Nancy's blog. Who knows where you'll show up next. Ha!

Charity said...

Everything is so pretty! The corbels add such a great touch! I want to dos something like that for my mantel. Amazing what a little paint can do!

I can't wait to see your chalkboard. It must have been the day for Goodwill! I came home with a cute tray that I am excited to do something to! :) Not sure what yet. Have a great weekend!

Charity said...

hehehe... I just caught the last paragraph! :) Of course I don't mind that it was on Thursday! and thanks for the plug! :)

Melissa said...

Hi there! Like a lot of other people, I too have come by your blog via Nancy's! I've spent entirely too much time on here, but wanted to say that your decorating touches and scrapbooking abilities are a fabulous gift from God! I plan to stick around and hope you blog for a long, long time because it's been a really long time since I've been as inspired as I am after being here!

Many Blessings,
Melissa

PS - Our styles are so similar that I could move right into your house and feel like I'm at home....we even have the same kitchen faucet set! :O)

Tammy said...

Beautiful! Your kitchen looks so cozy and so much like a bed and breakfast! Also has a romantic flair to it.