Thursday, May 31

Virtual Makeover

I recently met a new friend and fellow blogger, Jeannie, and she asked me for some decorating advice. I was only too happy to take on a decorating challenge! She is in a temporary home, so she didn't want to spend a ton of money, but she wanted to make it pretty until they build their new home in the future. I said bring it on. She emailed me some pics of her bedroom, and I put together a few idea boards on polyvore to give her some fresh ideas. Here's her current bedroom.
One thing going for her, is she has really awesome furniture already. All she needs is some paint and a few carefully selected accessories. 

 I virtually made over her room using gray blue wall colors, and lots of white and tan accessories to brighten things up.


 Then when I found out she liked red and aqua, I put together a second option just for fun, using some red and aqua trimmings. I kinda dig those colors myself . So fun!
Her headboard is really tall, which doesn't leave room over the top of the bed for much decor. So my suggestion was to get a $5 wall mirror from Walmart, turn it sideways, and make a fun bunting to hang on it. Cheap and easy!

And then here's the other side of her bedroom. Isn't that just the coolest dresser??

I tried to come up with some inexpensive ways to makeover the space. It's amazing the difference paint colors, and lighter curtains can make! Just a few simple changes can make a big difference, and she won't bust her budget in the process. She's already been finding things at thrift shops and garage sales to repurpose for her new room. I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

 In exchange for my decorating advice, she made some ADORABLE shirts for my 3 little guys. I told her I definitely got the best end of the bargain! 
Aren't they the cutest things? 
She also made this houndstooth shirt for Weston. I just love it! Duh. You know how much I love me some houndstooth! 
By the way....Weston is now 11 months old - this was last months piccy. I can. not. believe. he's about to be ONE! Where has the time gone...

It's been a very fun "business" deal, and I'm looking forward to helping her out with some other areas of her home, too! 
Photobucket

6 comments:

GLOANN said...

Wow! Virtual decorating solutions. Love the red/aqua room. Weston is so cute. It is hard to believe he is almost one year old. I don't often comment but I love reading your blog. You are such a neat person with so much talent for making something great out of another's discards.

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

What fun being able to help someone else decorate their home! I like both boards a lot. I usually have a problem adding colors that pop to my own decor but I love the aqua and blue together. I can't wait to see how it all turns out! I love the shirts. What a talent! ~ Jamie

Kim said...

How wonderful to be able to help someone "virtually" like that! I'm way behind on the times. You are definitely the right person for the job too Brit - you are so talented!
xoxo,
Kim

Cindy said...

Hi Brittany,
How fun to help someone with their home, you have given her some great ideas. You're right, her furniture is beautiful, the end result will be lovely with the new colors. I also love turquoise and red against a light background. Beautiful!
Weston is ADORABLE. What a darling little fellow, I'm sure you have a lot of fun with him.
Hugs, Cindy

Charity said...

What a fun trade!! And I love the red/aqua combo - I'm planning on using it for our nursery, along with a bit of yellow... :)

And wow. Can't believe the little guy is almost one!! It does. not. seem that long ago...

The Dickinsons said...

Brittany, Thanks for your super sweet comment on our anniversary post! =)

Loved your decorating ideas. How fun. I'm sure your friend was happy with your neat ideas too.

Your little guy is just adorable! Love the shirts she made your little men too! Can't believe he's almost one either!

Have super weekend!
~Heather~