Tuesday, October 25

Porch Redo and a Lego Birthday

I've been pondering the idea of painting my wicker porch chairs black, and it finally got the best of me. I took the plunge, and now I'm wondering why I waited so long. I'm really loving it with the freshly recovered houndstooth pillows. The Alabama fan in me is subtly popping out. Ok, that word, subtly, just looks so weird. That IS the right way to spell it, right? Or did spell checker just fail me... 
Anyhoo...moving along.

Here's a shot of the porch before I got the itchy spray paint finger...

And here she is now.

I was tickled pink to find the porch swing on craigslist for a mere 30$! My hubby was less than tickled about hanging the said bargain swing. What started out as a simple hang-up-a-swing project turned into a discovery of lots of rotten wood, pulling it out, and repairing it project. Good times, I tell ya. 

 The newly painted chairs are *subtly* sporting a touch of Alabama pride, too. 
I'm well aware that the wicker is totally falling apart. But a few cans of Krylon fit in the budget much better than new porch furnishings at this time. Maybe next spring...

Those of you that know me, and my flip-flop-wearin' summer-lovin' self, will be so proud to know that I actually planted some fall flowers. Go, me! Baby steps, people. Soooo hard to let go of warm weather...

 After a trip to the pumpkin patch, we brought home our pumpkins and had a paint party. I painted mine white to go in the ORB planters.

We got a little more creative with some of the others...
Thanks to pinterest for the fun idea!

 Jackson and I had birthdays last week. We celebrated with a little lego party, per his request. He wanted lego star wars, but we made a compromise and settled for just plain legos instead. Whew. I had a hard enough time making a regular old lego cake - not so sure how I would have fared with the star wars. 
He was pretty happy with it, so it was worth the effort ;) Actually, I kinda had fun playing with the fondant. It was my first time, and I must say it's rather addicting! All I need is another hobby. You know, for all my spare time...sigh...

Jackson turned 8, and Mommy turned thirty-something. 
But who's counting?!?
Photobucket

19 comments:

Leah said...

Your porch looks amazing! I love the painted wicker chairs. Have one of my own that needs that attention!
Ok, and that cake - amazing! You did good, girl! :)

Charity said...

The porch looks great!! Love the swing! and the pumpkins... :)

Happy, happy birthday to you and Jackson! The cake turned out soo cute!!

Denise :) said...

The porch looks lovely -- I especially like that touch of crimson. LOL! And your pumpkins were fun, too -- the angry bird pumpkins were great! :)

L ~ S said...

One of the cutest boy cakesIhave ever seen!!!

Pamela Gordon said...

I love the new look on your front porch! The black and orange really stand out. That swing sure was a deal and may have saved you headaches and $$$ in the end with the rotting wood problem. The lego cake is really nice! Very clever idea!! Happy birthday to you both. Blessings, Pamela

Unknown said...

So cute! Love the porch.

Great job on the cake!

RicKaren said...

Love the porch, and the cake was great too!

Simply LKJ said...

Love the new look for the front porch! The black really stands out. What a great cake!! Happy Birtday to you both.

Melissa said...

Love the porch redo, the black makes it look even more amazing. Love the lego cake, I see he is like his father loving legos. Happy Birthday to you two.

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday Brittany and Happy Birthday to Jackson, too!!! He is sure a handsome young man. He is just a few months older than my granddaughter, it is such a great age, isn't it.
You have been busy! I love the black chairs and swing, they just pop against the light color of the house now and all of the red really stands out too. You have done such a great job of decorating the inside and outside, too!
Your pumpkins are so cute! I love the angry bird.
You did a lovely job on the cake, I have never worked with fondant, but I have seen some amazing creations done with it.
Have a lovely evening.
Love and hugs, Cindy

camp and cottage living said...

Brittney
I just found your blog and became a follower. You have done an amazing job with your parsonage. My husband was a PK and grew up in these types of homes!
I'll be back again soon.
Blessings-Kimberly

Making Memories 1999 said...

Oh. My. Word! Your porch is amazing, and that cake... absolutely A.Dorable!! =) Blessings!

Jackie said...

The porch looks so good, Brittany! Party was presh! Miss you guys!

lila said...

Nice big porch, beautifully done! The cake is cute! Love your red cardigan. Your little man is so handsome. Late Happy Birthday to you two!

Holly said...

Brittany!!! You look so skinny!!! You look awesome! Happy belated birthday to you both. Your porch is beautiful!!!

Beth Stetler said...

Love your porch makeover. It pops! ... and Roll Tide! :o)

The Dickinsons said...

Happy Birthday. Mine's coming up too. Fun cake. =) I've wanted to play with fondant too, but when I asked where I could get it in Colombia they said that I'd have to make it. So far, I've not had the time (with packing and moving to Argentina a week ago) to make the recipe that I found. =)

Loved the new black furniture...really stands out nicely on your porch. The swing looks fun too! =)

Blessings,
~Heather~ =)

Liz said...

The porch stuff looks great! I have a swing that needs a re-do - never considered black... hmmm :)

Super job on the cake! I love seeing home-made cool ideas. My 6 yr old is just getting into legos, so I might have to try a version of that sometime.

Love your blog and read faithfully :)

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

It's not that I couldn't have commented on each & every one of your posts, trust me, but it's the porch swing that got me! Well, let's make that the whole front porch. Just a wee-bit green with envy *wink*. Love your blog & find inspiration each time I stop by. God bless you lots.