Thursday, June 2

Maternity...modestly.

It's getting harder and harder to find cute clothes that offer enough coverage for the non-pregger lady. It's even harder to find modest maternity clothes! BUT...it CAN be done. You just have to get creative. And layer. Layering will be your best friend. 
Here's an example... (all pics are clickable if you need to see them larger)
Black top - Old Navy Maternity
Pink Top - Two Hearts Maternity from K-Mart
White Skirt - Old Navy Maternity
White Layering Tee - Christopher and Banks
Both pairs of flip flops - Yellow Box (I'm SOOO addicted to these...)

Let me just start off by saying that all those non stretchy button up blouses that are supposedly maternity, don't last me past the first 5 months. I finally packed those all away, and got smart. I bought only stretchy tops. Veeeeery stretchy ones, and once my belly got really big, I liked the kind with the elastic on the bottom. They're just not quite as tent-like. I mean, you already feel huge, why make it worse?! But it seems like today's maternity tops are made to be super form fitting, and I'm not comfortable with that, so I found that buying larger sizes was the solution. The black old navy top is a large! But it has plenty of room, is very comfortable and not binding, and doesn't feel so form fitting. 

I really like the feminine almost romantic touches on these tops. Maternity wear doesn't have to be ugly or frumpy. Make it fun! Find things with pretty details.
Turquoise Maternity Tank - Ebay

I only wore this black dress once - the length felt weird on me, but I thought the dress was really cute on the hanger. I added the black ruffled cardigan and the black "cami-secret" to make it more modest. The green top is not even a maternity piece! If you know what to look for, and buy a bigger size, you can find regular clothes that work just as well. But then, my sweet grandmother told me I looked like a huge green watermelon in it. Gotta love her...
Black and White Floral Dress - Motherhood
Black Cardigan - Ross
Black Flower Slides - Payless
Green Peasant Top - Cato (size large!)
White Maternity Skirt - Motherhood (I got it from Ebay)
White Flower Flip-flops - K-Mart

My lifesaver with this baby has been the maxi dress - where have they been all my life?! They are so comfortable and last the entire pregnancy. I'll just be honest with ya, if it isn't comfortable, I'll never even get it back out of the closet. Comfort is more important to me than whether or not it's trendy. I've never been one to sacrifice my comfort for style. The black dress was especially comfortable. I almost felt like I was wearing my jammies in public. And it was a super bargain at $17.
Black Maxi Dress - Walmart.com
Black Flip Flops - Yellow Box
Turquoise Maxi Dress - Old Navy Maternity
White ruffled wedges - The Shoe Dept. (look for them in the kiddie section...)
Blue Maxi Dress - Liz Lange for Target (I got it on Ebay)
I'm thinking these will work well post-partum, too. 

I've already told you how much I LOVE the GAP denim maternity skirt. It has definitely been the most worn item in my maternity wardrobe! I love the big wide under belly band - it's almost like wearing a support belt. And I love that it has kept it's dark color through many washings. I'm starting to sound like an advertisement for GAP... Trust me, they haven't paid me a thing to say that. But it wouldn't be a bad idea...
Here's one outfit two different ways...
Cream Vest - JC Penny
Coral Maternity Top - Motherhood
Denim Skirt - GAP
Flip flops - Yellow Box
Denim Jacket - Christopher and Banks

 Here are 2 of my favorite tops with the same denim skirt (of course..)
Pink Striped Top - Old Navy Maternity (from Ebay for $3) 
Pink Plaid Peasant Top - Walmart 
The Walmart top is a regular size (another large), and has been well worth the 10 bucks I paid for it. I still have plenty of room in it, when I've already outgrown most of my "maternity" clothes. Now that I'm almost to the end, I've learned what kinds of things to look for. If only I'd been so smart from the very beginning... 
Here's hoping that the next clothing post will be about BABY clothes!! I'm Soooooo ready to meet this little guy. We're counting down the days.
Oh and the nursery? It's *almost* done! Pics coming soon!
Photobucket

25 comments:

Charity said...

Cute outfits!! That denim skirt is great! And I'm not preggers, but I LOVE those Maxi dresses!!!

Ok.... so you've got me hooked on Yellow Box now - is there a support group??? :)

Oh, and gotta love your sweet grandmother! She totally cracks me up! ;)

Leah said...

Love this post. I've noticed that some maternity clothes are made to show off the 'blossoming' body! I will definitely be on the hunt for that Gap jean skirt when we are expecting! My sister-in-law has already given me quite a few maternity items, so I'm hoping I won't have to purchase too many. Oh...and LOVE the maxi dresses!! They look great on you and it makes it even better that they are comfortable.

Andrea said...

You look great in all your pictures! Loved seeing your hair down too! :)
What is Yellow Box - I've never heard of them..online store or brick & mortar?

GLOANN said...

You look so nicely modest and yet so beautiful! I'm thankful that there are still some young women who are concerned with modesty. Those skin tight tops have got to be uncomfortable.

lila said...

Very nice. Love all the outfits and poses. I never had any nice maternity clothes but I made it. My baby is 31 so its been a while ago. I love seeing pregnant women dressed nice. You are adorable. Can't wait to see nusery pics.

The Dickinsons said...

Loved all your outfits! The Lord has been GOOD to help me find such fun "baby bump" clothes also. =) Through the years I found lots of fun mat. clothes at thrift stores, Motherhood mat., consignment stores, etc. This time when I was pregnant with baby #5...I had so much fun finding that Maxi that I wore in my maternity family pic at Goodwill for .99! It was like new from Target! =) Isn't it great that Jesus cares about helping us find cute but modest things for each stage of life?!
Can't believe you only have 32 days or so left. I'm so looking forward to meeting your new little baby! =) And seeing the nursery pics! =)
Have a super weekend! =)
~Heather!~

Cindy said...

Your maternity wardrobe is lovely! You have shown that maternity time can be beautiful and modest. I agree with you entirely about the form fitting clothes, I'm not ever comfortable with that idea, though. It just isn't necessary, pregnant or not.
You look so cute, Brittany. Thanks for doing this, I will mention to my pregnant friends. Hugs, Cindy

Brittany said...

Andrea~ Yellow Box is a brand of shoes, mostly flip flops and sandals. I can get them at most any of the large dept. stores around here. (Belk, Shoe Dept, etc) You can get them online too. The flip flops are SO comfortable - you owe it to your tootsies to try on a pair! =)

Melissa said...

I have to say it again you and your clothes are adorable. I have tried on a pair of Yellow Box flip flops but do not own a pair, I believe I need to change that. Can't wait to meet the little guy and see his room.

Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Your outfits are ADORABLE!! We just found out we are expecting our fifth baby, so I loved seeing those pictures! I personally love maternity clothes, as it is easy for me to find really cute, modest tops at garage sales. Long skirts are really hard to find, so I make and sell my own now at www.themodestmom.com Ebay can also be helpful as you mentioned to find modest maternity clothes.

I'm so glad I found your blog, a friend shared it with me! I'm going to bookmark it and be back! :)

Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

One more thing, do you mind if I share this blog post link with my readers? I'm always on the search for modesty maternity pictures! Thanks!

Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Thank you so much for the kind comments left on the blog, and for allowing me to share your post! I added it to the modest link up we are currently doing, so you will probably get some visitors from that. :) You inspired me to look up some maxi dresses on ebay! I wear skirts so often because of nursing, that it is nice to be able to wear some dresses while pregnant. :)

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

You are so cute! And stylish I might add! Love the white skirt. Just checking in on you! Sorry it's taken me so long to get over here. I was thinking maybe you may have had the little one by now. Hope all is well and looking forward to meeting the baby!

Jennifer said...

That was very inspiring to see some lovely maternity outfits that are modest as well. Just beautiful how you pulled those outfits together thanks to the layering idea. Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

Thank you for sharing this! Your maternity style is so cute. :) It almost makes me want to be pregnant again. ;) ( and I HATE being pregnant- I don't mind the babies, just the 9 months it takes to get them!)

Unknown said...

Ok, I know everyone said this already, but all your clothes are first modest... and so cute! Honestly, all the maternity dresses and skirts you posted pics of are a lot cuter than lots of "normal" size dresses. You inspire me! God bless you and your family, Meg <><

L ~ S said...

Wow, I found someone who has the same idea as me of how to dress during pregnancy! You have some adorable outfits! I have found a cute tank-top is can make very easily a cute outfit with just a white t-shirt and denim skirt. The dresses look great on you! I think I have to much in the back-end department for dresses, because even my husband said they look like a tent on me. LOL

Canadagirl said...

What sweet outfits! I think it is wonderful that you have found a way to find attractive maternity wear. I hadn't started wearing skirts and dresses till after I had my 4 boys. You did a good job!

Blessings<><
-Mary

Gail said...

Love it! Thank you for sharing your pictures with all of us! You make wearing modesty look great when your pregnant! I find that tops just seem so low cut! Thankfully I have some great undershirts! :)

Grateful for Grace said...

Just darling! What a beautiful pregnant women you are and a testimony to the LORD through your modesty. I just love it!

All of the outfits are just wonderful.

It's fun seeing other ladies following the series.

Heather Hart said...

My biggest problem while pregnant was finding shirts that covered my baby belly! It was twice as hard with the twins :( Your shirts are beautiful, I wish I could have found this before all my kids were born. Great tips for top finding!

You can view my She Wear's Skirts link-up post at:
http://servantwifemother.blogspot.com/2011/06/outfit-of-day.html

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you sure do look lovely in your maternity outfits.

I especially like the idea of using the maxi dresses....adding a t-shirt under them, makes them more modest.

Thank you for sharing...

Take care!

Angie @ www.ourjoyfulliving.com said...

THanks for sharing your lovely pictures. I just found your blog through the link up. Come visit me.
www.ourjoyfulliving.com

Unknown said...

I love the clothes. I would be too hot w/a shirt under all those tops. Most of those I wouldn't need a shirt under. My standard of modesty is definitely different than yours. The spaghetti tops I'd wear a lil shrug over top.

Eve | Inchworm Chronicles said...

Your outfits are *adorable* ! Now that I am past 30 weeks with this pregnancy, I am taking notes from your post. I loved the black and white dress outfit the most. I wish I could find more maxi-dresses in my size, too.