This table was given to me about 8 years ago, after a family had let their children completely ruin creatively use it for a "craft" table. They did a super job of leaving their mark on it. I'm ashamed to say, we've used it like this all those years, covering up the mess with tablecloths that hated me.
Here she is in all her glory, covered in glitter, glue, and total gooeyness.
It may have taken me 8 years, but finally, I. HAD. ENOUGH.
First, working in smallish sections, we sprayed it with stripper, scraped most of the gunk off, then sanded.
And sanded.
And sanded some more...
See that pretty wood hiding under all the gunk?!
Then, after searching the house in its entirety for some rubber gloves, and finding none, I tied a lovely blue plastic bag on my hands and applied a light coat of dark walnut stain.
Whatever works...
Whatever works...
After the stain was good and dry, I put 5 or 6 coats of satin poly on it, then we promptly went on vacation for a week. I planned it that way, in an effort to save it from little fingers, cheetos, and dinosaurs, before it had the chance to "cure".
It took several days from start to finish, but I'm Sooooo glad I ventured out (waaaayy out...) of my comfort zone and got 'er done. I've only been too happy to
kiss those tablecloths good bye!





12 comments:
Brittany,
You did a beautiful job! It is gorgeous!!
Hi Brittany,
Your table did turn out really beautiful, the top must be solid wood, not a veneer. Mine is very old and is veneered, I will have to be very careful not to sand through the surface of my table.
Hugs, Cindy
Looks great, Brittany! We just sanded all of the original wood floors in our home so I totally know how much of a pain sanding is! Way to venture out of your comfort zone and create something you can be proud of!
It does look great!! Love the "gloves!" :)
It's amazing what hard work and motivation will do. You took something used and abused and turned it into something beautiful. That's kind of what God does with us if we let Him :)
Amazing transformation Brittany!
It is gorgeous and I love the color combo. Your hard paid off big time.
Happy week! ~Melissa :)
Meant to add *work* in that last sentence. Oops.
It looks amazing! I know you are soooo glad to have it done!
Just beautiful!
I've done a smallish amount of paint stripping and sanding...UGH!! Definitely not fun!!
I bet you feel a gret sense of accomplishment everytime you see your table :)
Your hard work paid off! It's beautiful!
I've always loved that table..even in it's ugliness! In your will please give it to me, Ha, that is if I outlive you!
Britt, It turned out beautifully, you did a good job.
It looks wonderful! I have a table that desperately needs done. We got it at a yard sale and it has paint and everything all over it. Haven't got the gumption to tackle it yet. :(
Post a Comment