Ok, here's my profound statement of the day :
Polyvore is addicting.
I just wasted constructively spent a couple of hours playing around on that site. It's a great way to visualize ideas. Let me give you an example. Here's my living room the way it looks this very minute.
This was the first room I painted, and I was going for a warm, traditional, almost formal feel. So I painted the walls "muted gold" and added warm red drapes and accessories. BUT since that time, as I've finished other rooms, the rest of the house is feeling much more light, bright, and taking on a cottage feel. The living room opens up to the very white, very cottagey hallway. Do you see the problem? Right! They do. not. mix.
I've been tossing around a few ideas to make it all flow better. I'm not changing the furniture, so any changes that I make still has to go with this furniture.
So, I made a few idea boards in polyvore just to get some ideas.
Idea #1:
1. Paint the gold walls light tan.
2. Replace red drapes and accessories with spa blue (I big fat pouffy heart this color.)
3. Replace dark rug with one that has some blue in it. I love this one from Ballard's but it's so totally out of the question.
4. Recover red lamp shades with burlap or linen.
5. Throw in some white or cream stuff.
Idea #2:
1. Paint walls "Rainwashed" a grayish greenish blue.
2. Replace red drapes with tan linen.
3. Add spa blue throw pillows. (Did I mention how much I'm loving this color?!?)
4. Replace rug again.
5. Recover red lamp shades again.
6. Add more white and cream stuff.
Now isn't that the coolest thing? It makes it so easy to visualize how the different ideas would look. I probably won't be changing anything till Spring. After all, the fall and Christmas decor matches the current living room so well. I'm SO ready to lighten up in there, but I promise I'll try to make myself wait. (Bites nails...drums fingers...steps away from the paintbrush...)
So tell me, which idea do you like best? I think I'm leaning towards the tan walls (goes with anything!) and the spa blue drapes because, like I said, I love 'em love 'em. But then, I always did love a room painted blue...
grrr.



12 comments:
Love #1!!! I am a huge fan of that blue color, have it in many rooms and it goes with everything. In some rooms it is mixed with deep red and chocolate, in others creams and lighter greens.
I vote #1... I'm loving the blue curtains!!! I can't wait to see what you do with it. Soo.... ummm... when you gunna "polyvore" my house?? :)
Beautiful ideas Brittany! I always adore warmth in my color choices but it sure looks fabulous with the spa blue. It's just dreamy! :)
I'm going with the spa blue walls....in my life after school. of which I will be a senior citizen....i will get on that cool website and see what i can do about my house!
I'm totally into the red and gold warmth, but I do like your blue stuff too. Polyvore sounds neat! (btw, send me your red/gold stuff when you're done..that's my exact living/dining room color scheme...lol)
I am also in LOVE with this color of blue, however, I think pops of this color throughout a room are my vote! Pic #1
You're great at pulling so many things together, but I did have a question? What is your house theme? Do you want all the rooms to be similar and repeat all the same decor in them? Or do you just want things not to clash? Or are you trying to achieve something specific? or just loving the color and running with it?
Looking forward to how things turn out...
Chari~ I'd be happy to polyvore your house. Gotta feed my new addiction...
Holly~ It's just that all the other rooms in the house are cool, casual, and very much cottage style. So when you walk into the living room, it feels like you're stepping into a different house. I don't know that I really have a theme, but it does seem like the house is mostly lighter calm colors. I'm not doing it just for the color, although it will be a great excuse to use it! :)
I love, really love #1. But of course you know me!!!
LOVE IT ALL!!! I think the blue in the area rug idea, with the light walls and white curtains sounds very relaxing and "cottage-like"
Personally, I like every room to be like a completely different house. :) I get bored when it's all the same. That being said, the blue is my fav of the two.
I love Polyvore too! Totally addicting. Can't wait to see your transformation. I'm still stuck with the reds and warm colors too. Can't afford to redo anything. I need two houses b/c I love the dark side and the bright side.
Post a Comment