Thursday, July 22

Fabric Rosettes Tutorial

Can you believe it? I'm finally getting around to that tutorial. So, are ya ready to make some roses?!
Let's get started!

First let's gather our supplies.
1. Strip of fabric
(mine was 3" wide and 24" long. Use longer strips for fatter roses, or shorter strips for smaller roses.)
Don't bother hemming the edges, we kinda like the unraveled look here.


2. Glue Gun


3. Some Tunes. (optional...)

Now we're ready to start. 
First you put a knot in the end of your fabric strip, like this:

Then, with a dab of hot glue, tuck the tiny little tail under the bottom of the knot, like this:

Then you're ready to "twist and glue"!
 Put a bead of hot glue around the outside edge of the knot, twist your tail of fabric (as in the pic below), and as you twist,  wrap it around the knot before your glue dries.

It should start looking something like this...

Just keep twisting and gluing. You get extra points if you make it all the way to end without burning the bajeebers out of your finger.

When you get all the way to the end of the strip of fabric, tuck the tail under the rosette, and stick it down with glue, like this:

When you're all done, it should look something like this!
Now, wasn't that easy peasy?!
A 24 inch strip of fabric will make a rose about 2 inches wide. So if you want a larger rose, cut your strip longer. I like to make all different sizes and the group them together, as in the top photo. 
If you want them to look more "finished", you can glue a circle of felt to the back, and attach a pin. For my bags, I just stitched them directly onto the bag by hand. 

That's all there is to it! Have fun!!

Photobucket

11 comments:

RicKaren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RicKaren said...

I have to say, I've seen all kinds of tutorials on these, made them myself without the tutorial, and burned the 'bajeebers; out of my fingers too...all that to say, "This is the best tutorial I've seen yet!"

Simply LKJ said...

Thanks Brittany! Very easy to follow. However, I can tell ya now...I will not make it halfway through without hot fingers! LOL Made a seashell mirror a year ago...can't believe I have fingertips left, certainly don't have any fingerprints!!

Jennifer Truitt said...

I'm loving the fabric roses! i just found a interior fabric outlet store today who sells fabric remnants by the pound!! Only $1 per pound! I got a bag stuffed full for only $3!!! Some of what I got is going straight to roses! :) Good luck on not burning the bejeebers out of your fingers!! have you ever tried the cool glue gun? I haven't but I sure am tempted~!

Brittany said...

Thanks, Karen!
Jenn, I'm pretty sure I'd be a prime candidate for that cool glue gun! I'll have to check into that... That fabric outlet sounds awesome - I'm sure you'll have fun with that!

I think the fingers burns is sort of a right of passage into the DIY world :)

Charity said...

I can't wait to try my hand at these!!

I think I do have a cool glue gun.... guess it's been a while since I used it. :) I think I got a hotter one because the cool gun "cooled" too fast. :)

Melissa Miller said...

Well look at that! It so pretty and looks easy. I love it Brittany!

Thank you entering my giveaway and for following along as well. I really appreciate it.

Blessings, ~Melissa :)

Christina said...

So beautifull!

Greets from Germany - Christina

Maresa said...

thanks for posting this. I have been waiting all week to see this. I wondered how in the world you started it. The knot is perfect. you're so smart. thanks again.

Cindy said...

Brittany,
Thanks so much for the tutorial, I have tried a few and I am finally getting it right, thanks for the extra help.
Hugs, Cindy

maddy78 said...

Many thanks for this tutorial.
I will try it nextly.