Wednesday, March 17

Skirting the Issue...

Ok. I'll admit it. I have major iss-shoooz.
With this.
It's ugly. Like makes-me-wanna-bang-my-head-against-the-wall ugly.
Can't exactly throw out the printer. Gotta have a file cabinet, too. Bummer.
Oh, wait. I've GOT it!
(lightbulb appears over head...)
A bedskirt!
Before you write me off as a total nut, let me explain. I'm not real great at sewing, so I'm all about projects with the least sewing possible. When I found a bedskirt at the Thrift store for 2.49, it hit me. The answer to my problem.

(insert clouds parting and angels singing...)

The ruffle was already there, the hem was already in, all I would have to do is cut a square for the top, cut off the length of ruffles needed, and simply stitch the ruffled sides to the square! Voila - instant (well, almost...) slipcover for my prehistoric file cabinet.
It took all of 10 minutes, start to finish. Most of which was spent on the corners. (Grrr. ) I DID think about ironing it first...then I decided I liked it all wrinkly. (My Mother's probably hanging her head in shame.)
Another one of those birds. They're just so stinkin versatile! And cute.

I had a living room table that was bugging me, too. And I plum forgot to take a before photo. It worked with my old sofa pretty well, but it looked a little too "mod" for my new one. Hey, I just found an old photo of it...
The top lifts off to make a tray, pretty cool. So (another lightbulb moment...) I got an ordinary round tablecloth from Wal-Mart, and put it under the tray.
And I can't believe how much it dressed up that whole corner of the living room. And now I have some hidden storage, too. Big Smile. So, my tip for the day - if it bugs you, make it go undercover! Use bedskirts if needed.
Photobucket

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Every time I read your blog, I think to myself, "This girl is SO smart!" And I am thinking it once again, you really come up with the prettiest and least expensive solutions to every day problems, that we all face. You have done it again! Hugs, Cindy S

Melissa said...

Love it, Love it. I have been doing a little decorating myself and have fallen in love all over again with spray paint. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Charity said...

Very cute!! What a great way to hide those problems. hmm... makes me want to get some decorating done myself! :)

trish said...

Fantastic! I have a round table that is in much need of a skirt. I am going to look in my cabinets to see if I have stashed any bedskirts! If not, will hit our local thrift store for sure. :o)
Sincerely, Trish

Melissa Miller said...

So pretty! What a great idea for a round tablecloth. I love it! :)

Unknown said...

I love your solutions! Very pretty and clever too!

Unknown said...

uhoh...you"re starting to sound like me with the weird ideas. but, most of my weird ideas turn out pretty decent in the end! Nice bedskirt!

Nancy said...

Amazing! Too cute for words. Love those light bulbs! Nancy from OHIO

Shirley said...

You found the neatest way to 'Skirt the Issues'. Proud of you!