I know a lot of you are all hyped up about fall, and dragging out all those fall decorations. But me? I'm totally bummed out about it. I'm standing here saying, " But I wasn't done with SUMMER! Where did the summer GO?" I always get depressed in the fall... because I'm not a winter person. At. All. When I've seen one snow flake, I've seen one too many.
But, I've got a plan. A cure. When we move, we're going to have one room in the house where it will be summer time all year round. We're gonna have a den, and it's gonna be all about the beach, all dressed out in white and beachy blue, seashells, and starfish. I can't wait.
So, when I was in Lowe's, I spotted this lovely beachy shade of blue spray paint. I promptly put it in the buggy with visions of the many wonderful things I could do with it. (for you Northerners a "buggy" is what y'all call a "shopping cart" - just thought I'd clear that up for ya, you can thank me later.)
My first victim : a wonderful old chunky frame. 1 dollar at Goodwill.

The finished product. GASP!! Warning, this may hurt your eyes...
I was thinking beachy aqua blue, but what came out of the can was this PEACOCK blue in the brightest shade I ever saw. Lesson learned...all spray paint is not created equal. I thought I was being all cool trying out the good Valspar stuff. I'll stick to my trusty old Krylon, thank you.
But I still liked the frame itself, and would really like to use it. So I sat down in my thinking chair and think...think...thiiinnkk... Where did that come from, I HATE Blue's Clues.
So I said to myself, "I wonder what would happen, if I sprayed some white over it, and then sanded it up a bit. Perhaps that would take the edge off that hideously bold blue." This is what happened.
Score! I love it! I like it better than if I had painted it a solid beachy blue color. For once, a flop turned out to be a good thing.
Then I got real experimental and tried a little mocha glaze on parts of it.
That stuff is just so cool. Here's a close up. I have some other beachy projects up my sleeve, that I will be posting about later on. So while the rest of you are getting fall happy, it's gonna stay summer time over here at my place for as long as I can drag it out.

14 comments:
whew... you should have warned me! :) I love the finished product, though!! So pretty! I can't wait to see the Forever Summer room!
I do have my fall decor up. I love the coziness of fall and winter - until about January 4th. Then I'm ready for SPRING!! :)
.. oh, wait... you did warn me... :) It was rather bright!
Okay Brittney, you and I are on the same page! I'm moving in for the winter...I'll be happy to camp out in the den, by the way you don't mind if there are 8 of us do you?!!! :) Love the frame!!
oh so pretty! I'd be more than willing to take that "flop" off of your hands ;)
Brittney! Love it!! Yes, I've had that same experience with their paints...the color never seems to be quit what the top indicates. The frame turned out great. My girlfriend and I decided this year we really didn't want to do away with our "beachy" things as we love them so and what they represent. So, instead we decided to incorporate them into our fall decorating and may even carry it over into the holidays. "Winter at the Beach" so to speak.
I love it Brittany!! I hate winter thus fall makes me very depressed also. I was just thinking about making at least one room beachy too.
Rhonda
Hi Brittany, I love the end result, isn't it great how something that's "not so right" can be made "perfectly right"? I hate the winter when all it does is rain, but I LOVE snow! And I really love it when the sun shines on the snow! Hugs, Cindy S.
I love your frame. Will you come decorate my house for me? :-)
The frame is perfect. By the way....Autumn is my favorite season. Just think, every day will be getting cooler! I HATE TO SWEAT!
I love the frame!!! I am not on the same page with you in regards to summer though, in fact I think I need a year round Fall Room! =) Love the cold and snow too! You'd be proud of me anyway tho' cause I counted 27 colors of spray pain in my cabinet in the garage!
I like the way the picture looks in that faded gray color. It goes perfect with the frame. I like fall but only when the days are bright crisp blue skies and fun fall foliage. I'm not a rain person, it is depressing to me too. Love ya, sis, good luck with your new summer room.
Wowwee! I guess fall and winter can be controversial - either you love it or you hate it!
Holly - I think you've got it right, I can take about any season in the sunshine and clear skies - but all this rain is really gettin me down!
Love the frame after the redo. Don't you just love when it all turns out better than expected! Great job~
Good Morning.
I am going to follow your lead. I spray painted a little unfinished wooden clock what I thought would be a light turqouise color ... only to find there is nothing light about it. :o) Thank you for sharing with us how you made something so beautiful. :o)
Have a beautiful day.
Sincerely ~ Tricia
Post a Comment