Thursday, July 30

New Bathroom on a Budget

For today's "Do it yourself" post, I decided to revisit the bathroom project. I posted about it a year ago, so some of you will probably remember it.


This bathroom was the. ugliest. room. Like, it-made-me-shiver-every-time-I-looked-at-it ugly. I had visions of ripping out the blue tile, the blue tub, the vanity, the blue sink...pretty much everything. But, alas, the budget (and the hubby) said NO, and in no uncertain terms. So, we had to get creative.
I came to the bitter conclusion that I would have to come up with a color scheme using the blue in the tile. Because hubby was NOT about to tear out that tile. But now that it's all finished....I'll be a big girl and admit it...I LIKE the blue tile. Somehow it works.

The best part is that not many pennies were put out for the whole project. I bought a new light fixture from eBay: 30.00. A gallon of chocolate milk colored paint: 20.00. One quart of fudge colored paint for the cabinets and mirror frame: 10.00 The biggest splurge was the shower curtain (from Croscill) at 50.00. But it was worth it - it tied the whole room together.

Here was the tub area before. More ugly.
And after. It's a wonder what a little paint and a pretty shower curtain can do.
And just to show you how warped my sense of humor is....
this is the decor over the potty.

I know, I know, I'm not right. But every good decorator will tell you - you're supposed to have an element of the unexpected in each room, something surprising. Well, there's my element of the unexpected.
ANYWAY... when we moved into this house, this was the ugliest room. And now, it's one my favorites. It's the chocolate. There is power in chocolate. I just knew it. Chocolate can fix anything. Even an old hopelessly ugly bathroom.

There are TONS of other DIY projects over at A Soft Place To Land...so go forth and be inspired!

9 comments:

Charity said...

Love it! Yes, chocolate is the best remedy! :)

Simply LKJ said...

Love it! I love the chocolate and blue combo. My daughter is actually using it in her new bath at the university this fall...along with a touch of zebra (chocolate and cream, of course!). Great job!!

Precision Quality Laser said...

I LOVE the sign over the toilet! LOL! And way to go on working with what you have...it looks great!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Wow!!! What a wonderful re-do!!! You made everything look like it was meant to be!!! The blue and chocolate are gorgeous!!!

Great work!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

trish said...

I love your bathroom! You have such a good eye for color and design. I am really enjoying your home transformation. You have inspired me several times! :o) Thank you for sharing pictures too! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Robbie said...

Love the bathroom. I have the same colors in mine but I really love that shower curtain.

Anny said...

That may be the prettiest shower curtain I've seen in ages! It completely ties everything together :D

What a beautiful bathroom.

Sandra said...

Very pretty! You did a great job of redoing the bathroom!
Blessings,
Sandra

Ronda said...

Beautiful! I love it! :)