Friday, January 16

Finished Object Friday

Some of you have asked what I was trying to sew when the whole sewing machine problem took place. So...I thought I'd make Finished Object Friday out of my little project. Be sure to check out Chari's blog for others. (she made a scrumptious looking chocolate cake this week.MMmmm)
I have back and neck problems due to my scoliosis, and I cannot live without my "rice sock". Do y'all have one of those? Mine was an old worn out tube sock I stole from my hubby's sock drawer, filled with rice, and tied shut with a bit of yarn. Pathetic, yes. But, boy, was it priceless. Well it was a sad day when I walked in my room to behold a certain 3 year old swinging it high above his head in circles, like a lasso of sorts. The poor old sock gave way, the end came loose, and rice rained from the heavens all over the entire room. Do you know how many grains of rice are in a 2 lb bag? More than I'd ever care to clean up out of the carpet again. I'm still finding grains hiding behind picture frames, under the bed, etc. Anyway, I decided it was time to upgrade. This time I used an old dish towel folded in half. And I stitched pockets into it for the rice, to keep it evenly spaced. Then I made a nice "slipcover" for it, complete with ribbon and a bow. It's not quite as embarrassing as the old "sock".

I tested the ribbon in the microwave to be sure it wouldn't melt, and it does just fine.
Just pop the whole thing in the microwave for 2 minutes on high power, and put it around your neck, or lay your back on it, or just warm up your bed with it. It's good for what ails ya.
And it's EASY to make. If I can sew it, ANYBODY can.

8 comments:

Candice said...

That is really cute! I'm definitely not much of a seamstress!

Charity said...

Very very cute! I can't live without my rice sock either. Mark hates the smell of it though... I think I've burnt the rice. Maybe time for a new one, huh? :)

Jessica said...

Very very cute!! I love the fabric and the bow :)

Shirley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shirley said...

Okay Britt, I'll try again...no miss spelled words this time, ha! I just wanted to say that I love your creativity. It's remarkable the way you take something ordinary and make it beautiful.

Jennifer Truitt said...

Very cute idea! I think I'll try one with Jasmine rice for a little different scent!

Trisha said...

Cute! Looks like your pains should be staying away with such a comforting bag.:) Trisha

Holly said...

It looked nothing like my mental image said it would, it looks better. How do you know how to pull the colors together? I like it, but it would have never crossed my mind to do it that way. Gifted, that's what I call it. Thanks for sharing.