Saturday, September 14

Sentimental Treasures and an FOF!

We visited my great aunt this week, and she had this autograph book on her coffee table. It belonged to my great great grandmother back in the 1800's. So neat!! I thoroughly enjoyed flipping through the delicate pages and reading all the messages inside. 

 I was absolutely in awe at the beautiful handwriting! It is definitely a lost art. I just snapped a few random pics with my iPhone, but every single page was written beautifully. I suppose everybody wrote like that back then, even the men. I don't know anybody that writes like that now - what was so common then would seem to be a great talent today.

Another thing I noticed was the messages themselves, they were so much more meaningful than the things we write or text to each other these days. So beautiful!


It seems that our generation has lost much of the depth of our ancestors - we would no doubt seem very shallow to them. It's kinda sad how time marches on and things change so much.  Sure, lots of changes have been good ones, but some are sad. It was pretty neat to get a little glimpse into our history. That book is definitely a treasure! And it's in pretty great shape to be over 140 years old. 

 I haven't done any personal projects lately - I've been spending my "extra" time working on the shop. I did get a new style of tote bag finished. I had some requests for a ruffled denim tote, so this is what I came up with. I just listed it in the shop! 

I'm linking up with Chari's Finished Object Friday.


Photobucket

8 comments:

Nicki said...

I treasure a diary that isn't as old as your great-great grandmother's, but has sure been enjoyable to me. It was my dad's mom's. It is one of those that on one page you can write about 5 different years, so not much each day, but just a glimpse of their lives. What is so great is that I remember their lives after they retired and moved into town, but she started this while they were still on the farm. I have seen pictures, and know I was there, but was so little I don't remember much at all. I know mine won't have as much meaning, but in 2007 I started making notes of our family activities on a calender in the bathroom. Every few months I'd type them into the computer. Not sure if my kids will every find them enjoyable reading, but many times we've needed the date for a certain happening, and have found it in my "yearly diary".

Unknown said...

We are pretty shallow. :( I think it would be so cool to travel back in time. And, I love pretty handwriting.

Cindy said...

You are so right, handwriting is a lost art, because the kind that you've shown here is truly artistic!
The messages are also very poetic.
Your new purse is beautiful, I have been thinking of a style that I want to make for myself and I feel inspired to make it happen!
Thanks!

Tricia G. said...

What a treasured find!

The Dickinsons said...

What a fun treasure to look through. I LOVE the handwriting!! =)

Cute purse!
~Heather~

Charity said...

So beautiful!! I do love that handwriting and the thoughtful sayings too! So sad that such things are lost in our day!

Cute bag too!! :) Glad not all handmade beauty is a lost art! ;)

RicKaren said...

LOVE the autograph book! I hear they are making a bit of a come-back! I hope so! I make my girls practice penmanship~you are right, it is a lost art!

The Dickinsons said...

Brittany, Just stopping by to say, Hi! I hope you are having a happy fall!

I just posted pics of my fall decor. Can't wait to see your next post. Maybe it will be some of your Fall decor? =)

Blessings,
~Heather~