Sunday, September 18

The Parsonage. Part Two.

Let's revisit the hall.
One of my favorite makeovers in the old parsonage!
Are you ready for the before pic?
Think dungeon.
Or cave. Very dark cave.
And don't say I didn't warn you.
*covers eyes*....I can't bear to watch...
Lovely, eh?
I mean, have you ever seen so much paneling?! So much DARK paneling? 
*Enter paint.*
WHITE paint.
Gallons and gallons and gallons of white paint.
(And a perfectly old cast-off church pew, also painted white.)
So. Much. Brighter! Love love love it.
The preacher built the nifty wall shelf/ledge thingy for me. Isn't it a beaut?! He was all for it because he knew if  we didn't have the shelf, I'd hang ALL those frames on the Wall. (Gasp!) He has this strange fetish about holes in the walls. Weird. He's threatened to build ledges all over the house. 
Now let's see the before of the other side...
Yes, the lights were ON. But you'd never know it. I'm not a big fan of darkness. Oh, so you noticed?
And now, the white version.
Honestly, the hall seemed to double in size 
when we painted it! 
We'd love to hang new light fixtures, but I haven't figured out exactly what I want in there yet. It can't be anything that hangs down much - there's lots of traffic in there. Lantern style lights would look cool, but I'm afraid they'd bump heads. We'll keep thinking.
The stairs were also in need of some attention.
My grandfather built this staircase many years ago. I really love it, and didn't want to change it much, so we just freshened it up with a new paint job.

Also on the old to-do list is new flooring - I can just see this hallway in walnut colored planks. I'll have to start saving my pennies for that one. Because when we do flooring, we plan to do a LOT of it - the hall, the dining room, the kitchen... yeah, I'll need quite a few pennies. But I can keep dreaming, right?!
Next up (for part three of the parsonage) is the Dining Room and Kitchen, so don't touch that dial!
Woopsie. I think I just dated myself with that one...
Photobucket

10 comments:

Charity said...

Wow! Such a change! I just love what all you have done with this area! It's easy to forget the before. :) Love the sunlight from your "skylight" too!! :)

lila said...

Amazing what paint will do. Some one said putty and paint will make it what it ain't. It looks beautiful. You have a nice touch. Enjoy your blog.

Kristiana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristiana said...

Hi I recently found your blog through Pinterest and have just loved looking at what you have done in your home! Your hall is beautiful!!!!

Blessings!

The Dickinsons said...

Love the change, it all looks great. The white does encourage ones' heart. =) That's neat that your Grandfather built the steps. =)

Love,
~Heather~

Daryl Hausman said...

okay, so I've never commented before now (and I apologize for that!) I'm Heather Dickinson's sister and I'm the one that told her about your blog, I can't remember how we even found your blog, in the 1st place... but we LOVE, LOVE your taste in decorating. We have purchased an old house built in 1913, but with that came plaster galore. :) Your blog has helped our hearts so much... knowing that ONE OF THESE DAYS we'll have a beautiful dream Haus! Our kids tease us that it won't be finished till they are all grown and married for that's what we'll finally have enough money to actually remodel it all!:) We are so thankful for the Haus that God has provided and can't wait until it looks beautiful like your sweet parsonage!
Laura Hausman

Cindy said...

Your hall is so pretty! I love the shelf on the wall and the darling church bench painted white. I think it's my favorite of the rooms you have shown us.
Your living room is also very beautiful, I love what you have done with the walls, draperies and your pillows on the couch. Whatever color they are, they are beautiful!

Blair said...

I love the character that the walls have since you painted over the paneling. I really like the all white look but how do you keep it clean with the kiddos? Or do you just notice spots faster so you can more easily take care of a spot?

Making Memories 1999 said...

Love. Love. It!! So cheery and clean!

Brittany said...

@ The Momma ~ Ya know, I haven't noticed the walls getting dirty. We did scratch it up in few places moving furniture through there, but I just touched up the spots with a paintbrush. It's been painted for about 2 years now and has held up surprisingly well. The bench gets scuffed up, but I wanted it to look shabby anyway :)The more worn it gets, the more character it has - lol!