Monday, June 20

Conversations with Carson...

on Father's Day.

I mentioned to Carson that it was Father's Day and asked if he'd like to make a card for Daddy.
"Yeah!" *scampers off to get a multitude of crayons, colored pencils, paper, pens....
A few minutes later he comes back.

"I wrote I *heart* U. How do you spell Daddy?" 
"D-a-d-d-y."
"Ok."
In a minute he's back again.
"How do you spell I hope?"
"I h-o-p-e."
Scampers off again, repeating I h-o-p-e over and over to himself.
Then he's back again...
"How do you spell you give?"
"Y-o-u   G-i-  wait a minute. You GIVE? Just what are you going to write, Buddy?"
"Well, I was writing, I love you Daddy. And I hope you give me something really good for my Birthday. I want the Imaginext Fortress." 
That's where I gave him a little explanation on the meaning of Father's Day. And that it has nothing to do with Carson's Birthday, which is way off in December, by the way. Then he was thoroughly confused.
"But now what do I write?"
"Well, you've already written I love you, Daddy. I hope... so why not just say I hope you have a Happy Father's Day?"
Rolls his eyes dramatically as if that was a terribly boring idea, sighs loudly, and scampers off again, muttering..."Maybe I'll just draw a picture." 
Obviously, he still doesn't get it.
Later, I saw his card sitting on the table, waiting for Daddy.
Awww...it's a sweet picture of Daddy and Carson walking along hand in hand wearing great big smiles. Maybe he really does get it after all.
But wait...
what's that on the far left? Looks like big teeth.

Oh dear.
The happy father and child are about to be gobbled up by a really large shark. This does not look like a "happy" Father's Day...
So I ask Carson, "why is this big shark about to eat you and Daddy?!"
He says "No, Mommy...that's no REAL shark! That's a picture of the time at the beach when Daddy took me to the store that had the shark shaped door. I really liked that store." 
Oooooohhh. Big sigh of relief. He'd drawn a picture of what, to him, was a very happy memory.
So maybe he really DOES get it.

For a 5 year old boy, I think he's finally got it all figured out pretty well. 
Gotta love little boys!
Photobucket

13 comments:

Charity said...

Hilarious!! Your little guys are so talented! Love his drawing abilities! :) (and the shark door is awesome, Carson!!)

Cindy said...

Hi Brittany,
That is SO funny!!! How fun to be raising boys, they are so much fun. They are so full of vim and vinegar
Hugs, Cindy

Leah said...

This is such a sweet little story! Love when you get to see or hear what they are thinking at that age! :)

Amanda said...

Oh how cute! I was laughing the whole time I read this. Children are sooo much fun at that age!

lila said...

Very cute and creative card. Kids are just the bestest! Love how they think.

Holly said...

That Shark is drawn better than any of mine, Wow!!! I love it and I remember that Shark store. Miss you Brit, and your young'ns

Pamela Gordon said...

That is so cute! What a dear little boy and he can draw a pretty good shark for a 5 year old!

The Dickinsons said...

Too Cute! Don't you love having a wonderful Daddy for your kids...and having wonderful kids who love their Daddy?! The shark pic and your explanation cracked me up. (Before you told us about the shark shaped door.=)
Thank you for your nice comment on my "Memorial day" pie! =)
Can't wait to meet your new little one! =)
~Heather~

Andrea said...

That is so sweet!

Brenda Daugherty said...

totally off subject but I just got so excited to come across your blog! I noticed that your church sign said Bible Methodist and I got so excited LOL, I live in Ohio and attend a Pilgrim Holiness church but frequent a Bible Methodist camp just a few miles away from me!... really enjoy reading your blog!!!
God Bless!
Brenda

Nancy said...

Love the story about the card:) Too cute. And I am amazed at his 5 yr old ability. My 5 yr old's drawings are nowhere near that detailed. he's doing great...maybe you ahve a budding artist in your housha!

The Dickinsons said...

Well...you could be holding that new baby boy in your arms any minute now... for your little preggo ticker says that you only have 7 days! I'm praying that all goes GREAT for you! =)
~Heather~

MStein said...

Brittany,
I love following your blog. You are so incredibly talented, both in writing and decorating.
I wanted to let you know we are praying for you and Weston. Can't wait to "see" him (digitally), and meet him at Heidi's this Thanksgiving (hope you all are coming).
Monica