Monday, January 17

Progress at the parsonage...

I've wanted these shades for the dining room for a looooong time, and I actually bought them for myself with some birthday money. Um, yeah...my birthday was back in October. So it's been a rough couple a months...
I'm thrilled to finally get them all up! 
I'm loving the added texture =) 
But let me tell ya, when the description on the web site says "privacy" don't believe it. We got these babies all hung up, then realized there was ZERO privacy, as in you could see right through them. Soooo, after refusing to pay 25 buckaroos apiece for liners, I decided to make my own. It made for a rather stressful day, but now that I'm finished I'm glad we did it! It took forevah. Remove shades, remove strings, cut fabric, hem edges, attach to shades, rethread the strings, and then hang them all back up. Let's just say I had to sleep with the heating pad that night! So glad to have that lil project DONE! 
Now if I could just get enough energy to refinish the leaves for my table...

Photobucket

10 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

I absolutely love your new shades! I'm sorry you had to go to all that extra work to make them more private. I think I would have marched them right back to the store! :-) I guess the liners will also add some insulation to the windows - so that's a bonus! I wish I were as talented.
Have a blessed week,
Pamela

Cindy said...

Hi Brittany,
So nice to see a post from you today. I hope you're feeling better.

Your dining room looks beautiful with the new "privacy" blinds. They do add a lot of texture which is always nice.
Have a great evening!
Hugs, Cindy

Simply LKJ said...

You have the patience of a saint Brittany! They look awesome!!

Unknown said...

Love them...gives it that extra "oomph!" :)

RicKaren said...

Hhmmm....same thing happened here. Love the shades but no privacy! I haven't decided if I want privacy bad enough to go to all that work (I only have one window, but it's like 6 feet wide). Ugh! Glad to see you blogging!

Brittany said...

Karen, I'd say go for it! It took me about 5 hours to do all 4, but the peace of mind it gave was worth it :) I used cheap natural colored muslin fabric, and used hem tape (stitch witchery) on all the cut edges, so NO SEWING! And it did the trick - can't see a thing through them now. 6 ft wide would be a challenge, but you're crafty enough to pull it in fine form! ;)

RicKaren said...

Yeah, I don't know. I'm worried about the seam I'd have to make. Your's look great though and maybe were the inspiration I needed.

Andrea said...

They really make the room "pop" now! That sure is a.l.o.t. of work for privacy! Your poor fingers and back, worth it for sure, though!

Unknown said...

Your patience and hard work have paid off. It looks amazing!!

Leah said...

I just LOVE the texture and color these add to your dining room!!! Love!!