Wednesday, June 9

A French Inspired Burlap Project


I had a wild hair idea this week. Yeah, what's new, huh?! I've seen some cool French grain sack inspired pillows, etc that really good DIYers are making. You know, those talented folks that can paint all fancy like. I totally stink at freehand painting, and my stenciling isn't a whole lot better.
But where there's a will there's a way, and I reeeally wanted to jump on the old band wagon.
Enter iron-on transfer paper and my trusty old ink jet printer.
And here's what I came up with:
It's not exactly perfect...but like the Nester says
It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!
All you have to do is build your image on your computer, then "mirror" the image, then print it onto the transfer paper.
After the ink dries, you cut out around the images, not perfectly, but loosely. Then iron it onto your burlap, or whatever fabric you prefer. Then frame it, or make a pillow out of it! I found this huge frame in my neighbor's trash, so this project didn't cost me anymore than the transfer paper. Love that.
As I stretched the burlap onto the frame, it scewed my print out the wazoo, but I can live with that. I still thinks it's da bomb. We just built this ledge shelf in our hallway, and I can't wait to show you the rest of it - so stay tuned!

Thanks so much to all of you who are helping us pray for my friend, Connie. The latest update on her is that the chemo is working, and she is slowly improving. The ventilator has been reduced back to 50% now. God is surely hearing and answering our prayers!
Photobucket

13 comments:

Unknown said...

That is too cool!!!

Nicki said...

VERY COOL!!!

Simply LKJ said...

Brittany,
I love it!! I will definitely have to try this one. I did also copy your cabinet door transformation...turned one into a chalkboard like you did... and can't wait to use it in our new kitchen remodel!
Lauren

Andrea said...

I love it!! You sure saved yourself lots of time using the transfer paper - alot easier too! :)
Praise the Lord about Connie!! Her situation has been heavy on my heart - we prayed for her tonight at church. Keep us posted.

Melissa Miller said...

It turned out simply gorgeous! :)

TidyMom said...

Oh I LOVE this idea!! Can you tell me where you found the images? I love the scroll behind the crown!

Thanks for the update on your friend! good news for sure...I'll continue to pray for her ♥

trish said...

What a beautiful idea. :o)

Peggy B. said...

Love the idea....got my brain whirring....

Unknown said...

Another cool idea from Brittany :) I love it!!

Praise God for the positive report about your friend. I'm still praying for her.

Brittany said...

Thanks y'all, now I'm gonna go try my hand at a pillow :)
TidyMom~ I got the images off my antiquated print program, it's called Print Master and I've had it for years. I'm sure you could find some good clip art online for free.
Thanks so much for praying for Connie!

Anonymous said...

Your hanging is so gorgeous, Brittany!!! Perhaps I could make one. I am very glad to hear that Connie is improving, I have been praying for her. God does heal! And He does answer prayer, this much we are confident of.
Hugs, Cindy S

Charity said...

Very snazzy! I can't wait to see that ledge in the hall! So cute!

Angie said...

Love this project!!!