Tuesday, March 9

Bathroom Before and Afters

Yay for one more COMPLETED room!! WooHoo!
It would only be fair to warn you about the ridiculous amount of photos you're about to see...
Here, we see the before photo. Not bad, just not me.
And then here's the after...
(only it's not actually so dark looking - I hate camera flash. But I was forced to use it.)
I think I've told you before that oak is just not my thing. So the first thing I did was darken up the wood cabinet, and then we added some trim to the plain mirror, and replaced the vanity bar lights with a more traditional fixture. Those few little changes made a HUGE difference!
This photo shows the real color...
Did you know that you could brush stain right on top of an oak cabinet? Me neither. But it worked! I just buffed it a bit, put a few coats of cherry colored stain right onto the oak color. It took a while to dry (a while meaning several DAYS...) but it turned out beautiful!
Here's the before shot of the other side of the room...
Be a sweetie and pretend I moved the plunger before taking the photo. Thanks.
And after a few minor changes.
I'm loving the shabby chic ruffles, especially paired with old chippy pieces :)
A few close ups...
Does anybody else love Isabel Bloom? I only have these 3 pieces, but I love them! They were each gifts from special people, and they each have special meaning.
And how could I leave out the most valuable part of a bathroom...
the T.P. (this was often referred to as "white gold" back in the college days...)
Actually, I just thought the vintage wire basket was too cute.
There was a weird little niche just to the right of the door, that was a huge waste of space. This bathroom has precious little storage, so...
The hubs built me some awesome shelves, and then I painted them all to match the mirror trim. We're making every precious inch count!
I can't even begin to tell what an improvement that was.
Here's a close up of the shelves. Don't they look all fancy like? Just one more spray paint success story :)
Great place to store towels...
and pretties.
The pitcher is actually ceramic and was a strange mauve color, until I painted with my favorite oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I think it's funny how it looks like a metal can now. I'm convinced you can paint ANYTHING.
That concludes our little tour, thanks for joining me!

(And do excuse the poor photo quality, that is one small bathroom, and there's ZERO natural light, which all makes for a very frustrating photo session on my part.)
Photobucket

14 comments:

Kim said...

Wow Brittany, you sure have been busy. Everything looks so beautiful. I especially like how you utilized that wasted space. Great job!
xoxo,
Kim

Unknown said...

Everything you touch turns into beauty.

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW! Brittany this is truly beautiful! Love what you did with the shelves. Brilliant idea. :)

Simply LKJ said...

Brittany,
I love it! You always do such a beautiful job with everything you do. I love the cabinets, thanks for the tip on staining over oak...my mom is hating her oak kitchen cabinets.

Charity said...

Wow! What a difference! This bathroom turned out great! I love the added storage in that little niche. And all the finishing touches here and there... :)

Andrea said...

I think you did a great job of photographing all the loveliness!
I love the ruffled shower curtain and well, the list would go on and on :)

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely gorgeous! You have a decorating talent. I am getting my house ready for sale on the market and I am definitely getting some inspiration from you on how to improve my rooms on a budget.

Maresa said...

I am once again inspired by your being so creative. You did a fantastic job..... as always. did you make your shower curtain? It's adorable!!

Donna Pedersen Paul said...

Hi Brittany - once again - JUST BEAUTIFUL!!! Love it!

Cindy said...

Your little bathroom looks absolutely amazingly gorgeous!!! Girl, you are GOOD! Every corner is used so beautifully and perfectly.
Hugs, Cindy S.

Shirley said...

Wow, what an improvement! I already liked the way you had that bathroom but you saw greater possibilities. It's so much lighter and prettier. And when did you say you were going to start your own decorating business?

Simply Domestic said...

I'm a first time visitor. I love your bathroom. The shower curtain and towels are beautiful I love the black cabinet.

Grandmagene said...

Brittany once again so beautiful. I love your decorating.

TidyMom said...

You did a BEAUTIFUL job!! every little tough is perfect!! I love it!!