Wednesday, August 12

Lamp Revamp!

Are you ready for the great lamp reveal?
I'm quite hyped up about this project. It took all of 15 minutes. No, I'm not joking.
Here's the ghastly brassy before photo:
And after. Beasties meet oil rubbed bronze spray paint (the new love in my life...)
Add a couple of snazzy red shades, and they're pretty chic.
Some of you are probably cringing because I PAINTED over MARBLE! Now, I don't exactly have anything against marble...it just looked dumb on the lamps. I tried to get a good close up but failed miserably. So you can't really see the true color. In these photos, the lamps look black, but they're actually dark bronze with a little of the old gold color peaking through in spots. You'll just have to take my word for it.
Here's the bigger picture, where you can actually see them at work. I think they compliment the living room quite nicely.
And here's a shot of the other side of the living room, just so it doesn't feel left out or anything...
I had heard a lot of wonderful things about oil rubbed bronzed spray paint, but this was my first time to try it myself. After 30 seconds with it, I was a hooked. The stuff is amazing. It only took one quick coat. How cool is that? I still have most of the can left. I must go find something else to paint. Hmmm.....

9 comments:

Charity said...

Must. go. find. ugly. lamps. spray paint. :)

I love these! They turned out awesome! I don't even need any lamps at the moment, but these make me want to find some! I may get a little thrifting in with my Sis-in-law this weekend. hmmmm....

Incidentally, what are the titles of the books stacked under the candle? I can see "If ye shall ask..." by Oswald Chambers. (Sounds like a good book!)

Andrea said...

Wow! Quite the transformation - very classic!

Brittany said...

Hi Chari! Yep - the book on top is by Oswald Chambers, can't go wrong with his books! The next one is a collection of 2 books by Bud Robinson, Mountain Peaks of the Bible, and a Pitcher of Cream - I haven't read that one. And the other 2 are some VERY old hymn books - I love vintage song books. Books make awesome decorations - they don't have to stay on a stuffy old bookshelf! I especially like to decorate with old ones, they have so much character!

Kim said...

Great job! Now, has anyone ever told you you look just like Natalie Portman??

Brittany said...

No, Kim, Nobody's ever told me that before - you're the first! I'm not so sure that's a compliment to Natalie Portman... :)
June, believe it or not, I found those shades at Wal-Mart, and they were pretty cheap, too! I thought they looked pretty nice for the price :)

Lisa said...

You go Brittany!!! Love the lamps, the shoes, the fun vaca. pics! It was nice seeing ya at camp. I see you have started school already...looks like your doing DVD'S too! We do like the DVD'S it does help for them I think to have a teacher talking to them and with other students and a class room setting. We will start on the 24th of Aug....hang in there it's a journey! ;)

Take care Lisa...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just LOVE your "new" lamps! I'm going to have to find some ugly lamps too, so I can transform them like you have. Great job!

shirley said...

I enjoyed your lamp redo story. I just love the effect the red shades have on the room. I once read that every room needs a spot of red to spark it. Your living room proves the point. Not too much...just right.

shirley said...

I enjoyed your lamp redo story. I just love the effect the red shades have on the room. I once read that every room needs a spot of red to spark it. Your living room proves the point. Not too much...just right.