Thursday, March 12

The Finished Kitchen

I'm posting my Finished Object Friday a little early. Actually it's the finished project of 6 months, but I digress.You'd better sit down and hang on - it's gonna be a long ride through pictures, honey. Don't say I didn't warn you. I'm just so excited about my FINISHED kitchen! You'll have to bear with me while I share...
Up first is the kitchen when we first laid eyes on it.

I immediately declared my utter repulsion with the placement of the island, then promptly began to ponder a better plan.
Here's the plan we came up with after MUCH head scratching, pointing, and grunting.
The sink and laundry area before:

The sink area after. Minus the laundry closet.

A before shot looking the other direction. Boy was it ever dark and drab-o!

And after:
*note* I'm still in love with my scrappy desk work station. Just wanted you to know that.


Now we come to the Before shot of the fridge side of the room.

And after much paint, prayer, and elbow grease:

There used to be a laundry closet here:
But now it's gone and this is what took it's place:
I'd say my little contractor guy did a bang up job, wouldn't you?
The funny thing is how we used all manner of mismatched cabinets and stuff just to keep from buying anything new. (I'm cheap that way.) Like the new cabinet over the stove and microwave - it USED to be the big tall bookcase that was next to the sliding door. Dave whacked it in half and reused that baby. Add a few coats of paint, some doors, and trim work and you'd never know. How's that for being "green"?!
He even put in some lights over my sink and installed a nice little switch and everything. I've decided to keep him. He's pretty handy.

Now I have a great place for all my cookbooks (that I never use, but we won't get into that). I love having an outlet in the cabinet so I can plug up my toaster oven and use it right where it sits. (score another one for Dave!)


The little display shelves make a perfect spot for some red transferware teapots.
I'm also in love with my new faucet. I love the antique finish.

I guess that's about it! The only thing left to finish is the ceiling. Just need to patch up the places where old walls used to be, and replace those two unsightly fluorescent light fixtures with something a little easier on the eyes. But that's for another time, right now I'm enjoying the kitchen just like it is. And we're both enjoying being DONE more than anything else.
You'll find more finished projects at the Chari Tree.

15 comments:

Amanda said...

Much!! more functional! That is important in a kitchen! Very nicely done! (pssst.. i'm a lil' jealous.. in a good way of course)

Ellen said...

Wow.. Glad you finally decided to keep David after 10+ years! You all did a great job. We are going to be working on ours soon, but I doubt we'll have such creativity!

Holly said...

KaChing!!! Score! It looks totally different and wonderful!!! I'm happy for you.

Charity said...

Beautiful!!! I love all the little touches here and there!

Connie Snodgrass said...

Absolutely beautiful! And I'm lovin' your 3 columns! You're so smart! You could write a book by the time it's all said and done. :o)

Jennifer Truitt said...

Once again you've "gone and done it"!! :) It looks beautiful and I'm sure you are very happy to be finished with such a huge project!!

RicKaren said...

It looks fabulous Brittney! You need to submit these pictures to a home/kitchen make-over magazine!

Robbie said...

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful! Ya'll did an excellent job. I know that it was alot of hard work, but so worth it. Both of you sure are talented.

Tammy said...

Awesome! What a great job you guys did!

Candice said...

Wow....that looks fabulous! I love it!

Shirley said...

Britt, I love the kitchen. Now, here's the details I especially love.. the little shelf above the sink with tea pots, the cozy cookbook shelving, the hanging lights above the sink, the cute curtain above sink ( did you make it?), the faucet, the bun feet, the tiny lamps placed in strategic spots and of course the beautiful cabinets. I have just one question...Where's the Blue? Ha!, just teasing.

Heidi said...

Hi Brit,
Dittos to everything above. I can't wait to see it in a couple months.....

Anonymous said...

Don't know what else to say without sounding repetative. Y'all sure did a good job, and I am so happy for you! Now just take a couple weeks off and rest before you start your next project - ha!

Dana said...

Your kitchen looks great. Congrats on finishing it.

Lisa said...

What an awesome transformation! You guys did a fan-tab-ulous job! Kudos!!