Wednesday, January 28

A little somethin' to warm you up.

One of the happiest memories of my childhood is my Granny's home made chicken and dumplins. Between me and my brother Jeremy, we could pretty much clean up a whole pot. Years ago, she told me how to do it, so I scrounged around and found the little piece of paper I had scribbled it on. Then I remembered why I'd never tried it on my own. Granny thought measuring was for wimps.
But I gave it my best shot, and it turned out just the way I remembered it. Granny would be so proud. My favorite part about this recipe? The SHORT list of ingredients.
1. whole chicken
2. water
3.flour
Great, huh?! Of course you add salt and any other seasonings that make you happy.
Here's what you do:
Boil whole chicken in a big pot of water. Debone. Put all the chicken back in the pot of broth. Give the chicken skeleton to your doggy, he'll love you forever. If you have a doggy.
Take a scoop of flour , and add a spoonful of broth from your pot to it, enough to make a nice nonsticky ball of dough.


Dump it out on a floured surface and roll it out. But don't do it like mine. I wouldn't win any "perfectly circular rolled out dough" award. That's why I don't make pie, but that's beside the point. Roll it out kinda thin, unless you're one of those weird folks who like fat lumpy dumplins. Cut it into strips.
This is what I mean by "kinda thin".

Then just drop 'em all in the pot of chicken.
Salt it heavily. And if you're feeling real adventurous, add some ground pepper and some poultry seasoning, or what ever floats your boat. Boil until the dumplins are soft and serve it up with a big ol' glass of Milo's sweet tea.
If you just said "what's Milos'?" you haven't yet begun to live.

Welcome to the South, friends.

This is what I call comfort food. It warms you up from the inside out.
And it really makes me miss my Granny.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks delicious! Would you like to share?

Jennifer Truitt said...

Yummy...we'll be right down for some! I love your grannies method of measuring as well!! I hate measuring cups! :)

Charity said...

Yum, yum!! My grandma can make a mean batch of dumplings... I haven't had hers in a while. Hope she makes me some next time I see her! :) In the meantime, this does look pretty easy!

Amanda said...

Oh wow! This looks very appitizing. My sister called me the other day wanting to know how to cook chicken and dumplings. Knowing we are from Michigan, I KNEW she didn't know what dumplings were. In Michigan, biscuits are dumplings; she don't know what she is missing!

Just a note of interest, DO NOT give you doggie chicken bones. They splinter and could easily kill a dog!

Shirley said...

I want some! In fact it threw a craving on me. We went to Cracker Barrel(In the ice and snow) and I ordered dumplings...not good!