When I started this blog it was NEVER my intent to get into marriage counseling, but here we are with lesson number two for a happy marriage. I've mentioned before that I am NOT a seamstress, I know just enough about a sewing machine to be dangerous. But that doesn't stop me from tinkering with it when the mood strikes just right. Anyway, I turned on my machine and got everything ready, fabric in place, foot on the gas....and nothing happened. I scratched my head, tried her again....nothing but a "wwhheee" sound. I wiggled a few switches and messed with a few settings. No matter what I did that stubborn little needle would not go up and down. I bought the Singer SIMPLE for a reason, people.

As a last resort, I asked Mr. Fixit to come into my scrappy crafty room and look it over. He took one look and said, "Your belt's off." And with a glare that read "there's a million other things I'd rather be doing" he started taking the machine apart. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to get inside one of those babies, but it does help. After a while he had a few hundred little piles of screws (all of them different sizes) in strategic places on the desk to help him remember where to put them back. You'd be amazed at how complex and intricate it is in the innards of a sewing machine. He removed piece after piece, until finally he could see the belt...in perfect working order. Hmmm. More head scratching. He tested various parts, turned the machine this way and that. That's about when I saw it. I said "Oh look! It was just the bobbin winder!" It was set to wind a bobbin instead of to sew. Like this...

A simple flip of the switch and she purred away beautifully. Well, I couldn't help it. I doubled over laughing hysterically. Mr. Fixit did not see the humor in it. He sat there amidst piles of sewing machine parts and screws pounding his fist on his head. Then as if in slow motion he started putting the pieces back together, mumbling something about this being 2 times in one week, and that I was about as smart as a box of rocks, and a few other less than flattering comments. It didn't occur to me to say anything like "You didn't see it either!!" But now that I think about it, if he were really so smart, he would have correctly diagnosed the problem without doing major surgery on the machine. I'd give anything for a picture of his face when he realized what the problem was. Utter disbelief mixed with disgust and pure frustration. Honestly, I can't believe it either...and it is a little embarrassing. The only reason I'm sharing is because he threatened to go right to the blog and tell the story himself. So I figured it would be in my best interest to go ahead and tell on myself before he got the chance.
I hope you, my happy readers, have learned a valuable lesson from my mistakes.
Hey, I'm just here to help.
7 comments:
Hilarious! My husband recently had the thought that our 4 year old is more mechanically minded than I am. He found this out when I couldn't figure out how to use a wrench!
Britt,
I am glad to see that you are being productive again!! Are you feeling better?
Uh, I have done some "duh" things with the sewing machine myself---so, I feel for you:)
Hey, Brit, my Duh! moment was when I thought my car wouldn't start. So I wandered the mall with the kids waiting for Shawn to come rescue me. When he did, he promptly put the car in park and it started right up. I had it in neutral or something. I felt like an idiot. Oh, well, such is life.
I'm with you...I got a new cell phone and I had put my SIM card in and then was trying to turn it on but it wouldn't turn on. I looked down at my desk only to discover that the battery was sitting there just as pretty as you please! Yeah, I have my moments.......
Sounds like everyone has their moments. What fun! I definitely would rather only see the picture of his face and not have been there:)...ahhh such is life!!!:)
Trisha
Oh, Brittany ~ This is classic! My blonde moments happen too frequently, only I usually have to cry before I can laugh. That's because my mistakes usually are costly--like backing into telephone poles. :/ You're bathroom turned out so pretty!
Hmmm....maybe that is what is wrong with mine! (Gets up off the couch to go and check.)
Post a Comment