I had seen some new French country cabinets at Lowe's that had me literally drooling. Until I figured up what it would cost for a whole kitchen. The more I thought about it, the more I thought maybe I could just do it myself, and besides a gallon of paint was more in my price range. So I took an old cabinet door and practiced on it first, then with much fear and trembling, I took on the whole project.
I love how it turned out! A little paint, a dab of glaze, and new counter tops make a huge difference. I took out two of the door panels for display cabinets, but I still haven't gotten the glass for them. The rest of the kitchen is a lot more labor intense. Here, let me show it to you...
See that island? That's a dumb place for a stove. So we took it out. It's gone. Forever. See that dark door on the right? That's a laundry room. It's gone. Not just the doors, but the whole wall is gone. That's the new home for the stove. (No, I haven't given up doing laundry, the house has a second laundry room.) So once it's all done, the kitchen cabinets will go from the sliding doors all the way around the corner of the next wall. Oh, and see that desk all the way to the left? It's gone too. I am so happy that I married such a handy man! I just say, "Babe, let's move the stove from this spot to that spot over there, take out this wall and that wall, redo the flooring where we ripped out the walls, add new cabinets all around the stove....." He then dives in to a discourse about how you can't just "put" a stove where you jolly well want it, and that he is NOT a cabinet maker, and just who do I think he is anyway??!! But then he does it, not without a little fussing here and there, but he does it, and he always does a great job. He had to install new power in the spot for the stove, and it works! The man can do anything he tries to do. He's about to learn how to lay laminate flooring, and you know what? I think he's looking forward to it. One time we had a house that only had one bathroom...in the basement. I decided to turn a bedroom upstairs into another bathroom and he did it! He had never "plumbed" in his life but he installed a complete beautiful bathroom where there had never been one before. Anyway, back to the house. I wanted to show you the sliding glass doors now:
I wanted some toile drapes to hang up, but the only ones I could find were VERY expensive. So when I saw these hanging up at Goodwill, I knew there must be a God, and He must really love me. They are extremely heavy, thermal, insulated, lined drapes, they are the perfect size, and I got them for mere pocket change. I was thrilled. (I've never been a big fan of those long vertical blinds.) And one more thing, see those cute little iron bistro chairs? Do not be fooled by their charms. Those are wickedly mean little creatures. You sit on the microfiber seats, then you get up to push in your chair, and as soon as you touch the metal, ZAP they shock the living daylights out of you. So now I'm off to recover the seats with clear vinyl...

14 comments:
Hey that is the new color in my kitchen.. we must think alike. I love it. absolutely love. you guys do great work. tell me how you did those cabinets. i want to do mine the same; no I'm not a copy cat! :) did you get your color scheme from sherwin-williams? Just wondering.
WOW!! That looks absolutely fabulous!!! :)
Ok, now I am jealous! I want you kitchen! (Of course, I want you to have a nicer one...wait a minute! Is that possible?!?!) You know, you are going to have to get that little girl because when you are done with your house you will have ALL this time on your hands.
The kitchen looks great. I am so ready to get rid of my dark brown cabinets. How hard was it, did you have to strip the old ones before you painted?
Ya'll did an absolutely amazing job. The kitchen looks awesome. We purchased a house and we have been doing some updating but I gotta tell you I think you have us beat. Keep posting the pics...
Brit, what can I say? Fabulous! Tell David i said he needs to read your blog. I'm proud of him, especially knowing how much time is involved and knowing how little time he has. Shawn has a huge honey-do list and its taking him a long time to catch up. Congrats on the Kitchen! Love Ya! Holly
They look great! Please give us details on how you did it! My cabinents could really use some paint.
Ok, I have to add my two cents... Your kitchen looks AWESOME!! I love the red and white dishes in the display cabinet and your Goodwill drapes! and the cabinets look wonderful! Like everyone else, I want to know how you did it. :)
Ok Britt,
You know I've been in the house for five years and it's about ready for an update. Maybe Thanksgiving reunion could be family remodel week.......Smile!!!
I can't wait to show Dave your blog. He will be so impressed!!!
Love Ya!
Absolutely Beautiful!! You did an awesome job! Your kitchen is definetly the envy in blog world right now!! =)
You did a great job. The kitchen looks beautiful.
Hi Britt, I've been too busy to check your blog but just now when I looked I was so amazed. How can one little gal like you accomplish so much? It's absolutely beautiful and I'm proud of both of you.
WOW!!! Are you available to come and do home makeovers...on a tight budget?!!! I LOVE the style you decorate in!! I know how I want my house to look and it seems like I can just never get it right!! You have done an incredible job!!!
Oh boy! I would have fell down if I saw those drapes at a GoodWill! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Post a Comment