Tuesday, July 6

The Cottage Guest Room

Well, it's not totally finished, but it's well on it's way!
Come on in and see our guest room...

This is the only before pic I could find:

You can't really tell in this photo, but the paneling was light green, and the stripes were a dark teal color. Yummy. 
I felt I was doing the world a good deed by painting over that stuff. 
The wood floors are original, over 100 years old. I don't even want to refinish them, I love how they show the many years of living on them :)

And again, here's the after:
The only things we changed  was painting the walls, and hanging an old chandelier that we brought from our last house.
 Total monies spent? 45.00. I'm not kidding. Pretty cheap redo! 
This room is sort of my memories, and heirlooms room. The antique bed belonged to my Granny, the mirror over it hung in my great grandmother's living room, as well as the sewing desk. Also in this room is my old cedar chest that my grandparents gave me when I graduated, and laying on it is a cathedral window quilt that Dave's grandma made for us when we got married.

I used the 2 antique sewing machine tables as night stands. 
This one holds the Bible that was used in our wedding.

I found this old crib springs in a storage room, and I thought it would make a great memory board of sorts. OK, so maybe my mind's a little twisted, but I'm willing to accept the fact that I'm probably the only one that likes it :) I guess I just have this crazy need to be different.

The little dress was handmade, and was worn by the flower girl in our wedding.

Both of my boys wore these crocheted booties when they were babies. I've always loved them :)

These were the slippers that I wore in my wedding. 
They got all stained up when we took some pics outside - the ground was wet.


Carson wore this tiny little hat when he was still in the hospital.


This corner of the room has the little outfit that Carson wore when we brought him home, Jackson's baby shoes, and my Memaw's travel case. I have memories of her carrying that thing to camp meetings all over the country :) I found the other old suitcase at the Thrift store, and the little trunk was from TJ Maxx several years ago - it made a great little toy box for awhile.


Aren't these the cutest little shoes?


The bedding came from here, there, and everywhere! I'm not real big on matchy matchy sets. It's more fun to just mix up all kinds of stuff :)  Anne would say "there's so much more scope for the imagination."

I must say, I'm taking a breather now! That was the last room in the house to be painted - WOOHOO!!!
Since we moved in, I've painted 11 rooms altogether. I'm thinking I've earned a good looooong break :) But, boy, I love having it all done. I finally feel like I can sit back and enjoy it.
Well, at least until I get the urge to paint the outside....


Photobucket

17 comments:

Andrea said...

It's BEAUTIFUL!! Love the crib spring Memory board idea!! before too long I'll be able to do that myself when our youngest needs a 'big girl bed' :)
My only "negative" thought is worrying about keeping them dust free all the time. Although at least you do get to enjoy them vs. them just being in a box somewhere :)

Leah said...

Your decorating taste is a little different than mine, but I love coming over to your blog and admiring all the work you do in your homes. I still am able to get ideas and lots of inspiration from your decorating! You have been working hard, girl! =) I'm hoping when we finally get in to our home I can decorate things how I'm seeing them in my head. We haven't been able to do that up until now and I have so many ideas I would like to try out! Thanks for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

I really love your pretty guest room and hearing about all the memories it holds! The room looks great the those are beautiful floors. Now I like the little gate holding all of your children's little sweet things!
Have a cup of tea and rest now! :)
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Well, you know I obviously love it!!! I love the "memory board!" The floors are awesome, the pillows yummy, the colors relaxing, etc, etc, etc!! :)

Simply LKJ said...

I love it! I would feel so comfortable staying in that room. And the crib springs wall art-Genious!! Wish I hadn't sold mine! LOL Beautiful as always.

Jennifer Truitt said...

I love your guest room! It looks so calm and peaceful! In fact I just might sneak away and come spend a few days! :) You do a great job!

Pam B said...

I love the crib spring idea! I think it looks great and I love that you didn't repaint it, so it still has that rustic, antique look.

RicKaren said...

Love your 'memory board' and everything else looks great too! So fun!

Charity said...

Love it all!! Cute memory board!! It does look so cozy and fresh!! I love the floors too.... wish our house was old enough to have them under our carpet! :)

Charity said...

The whole room looks "cozy and fresh" not just the memory board...

I need to proof my comments more. :)

Melissa Miller said...

Brittany this room is completely serene and so beautiful. Lovely job!

Unknown said...

It's very sweet. I'd love to stay in it if I were a guest :)

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

I always look forward to visiting your blog. And I'm never disappointed. Love this room. The crib hanging is genius. Layers on the bed look soft and luscious. Hope you get some rest now after that much painting!

Shirley said...

Thank you for the picture tour of the room I love. It was a privilege to sink into that down-covered bed. What a beautiful guest room!
Yes, June, I did enjoy a few nights in that cozy room.
You do an awesome job of taking the ordinary and making it extraordinary!
Love you, Britt

Cindy said...

Your guest room is really gorgeous. Now that you're done, please come and help me with my master bedroom. I just can't seem to pull it together to look like I want it to look. Your are an excellent decorator, I love everything that you have done in your home! I did not realize that your house was old enough for 100 year old floors. How wonderful! I have always admired the floors in all of your photos, but never realized they were that old.
Hugs, Cindy S

Nancy Rosalina said...

Beautiful job, Brittany!!!!!

Chenille Cottage said...

Blessings, Brittany!
I am thrilled to find your beautiful blog. You have turned an old time parsonage into a cozy, welcoming home. What an amazing transformation. I love all your thoughtful and artistic touches. Each one is bursting with charm.
Thanks for letting me pop in and say hi!
Happy Happy Thanksgiving!
Carolynn