*Edited to add*....I now have several of these totes for sale in my etsy shop, The Parsonage Queen for those of you who may not like to sew ;) So click on over and browse, you're always welcome in my shop!
Ok, now back to the original post ;)
I first saw this glorified tote bag idea on Susie Harris' blog, and it was one of those I've-got-to-make-these-TODAY things. So I made one for my Mother-in-law for Mother's Day...
and I was hooked.
I enlisted the help of my Mom, and we cranked out enough of them to give as Mother's Day gifts to our church ladies. Of course, I forgot to take any pictures before I gave them all away. But they looked similar to this one, with just one ruffle.
There are a zillion ways to make fabric rosettes, and we learned by trial and error what worked the best.
Then I made this one for myself, just because I had some extra bags left over. And I couldn't resist.
Well, and because I really wanted to try making some rosettes using the twist and glue method.
I liked it! At least I liked all but the hot glue burn on my finger...owie.
Since I used fabric scraps I had laying around already, the only expense was the totes themselves. You can get them at Wal-Mart for 2 bucks each. How awesome is that?! And the possibilities are endless! You can let your imagination run wild.
I'm linking up with Chari's Finished Object Friday.
Happy Weekend!!


Very cool Mother's Day gifts.
ReplyDeleteThat is very cool! I have seen a lot of Mother's Day gifts this year that make me want to be part of a lot of different churches! ;)
ReplyDeleteOh...and how do you 'link up' with a FOF?
Very pretty!
ReplyDeleteVisiting from Charity's blog! :-)
Hi Karen,
ReplyDeleteTo link up, just build your FOF post, go to Chari's blog, and copy paste your post's URL into the Linky where it says, "you're next"...or something like that. She has a post in there somewhere with the whole set of directions.
Oh how adorable! And how special to share with the ladies in your church. :o)
ReplyDeleteSincerely ~ Tricia
Very cute!! I love all of them! So, do we get a rosette tutorial?? I've been wanting to make some but what I have tried look funny. :)
ReplyDeleteVery cute. I think we need a tutorial on the whole bag. I can see why you needed one for yourself, who wouldn't.
ReplyDeleteI saw those on her blog too! I AM going to make some - soon!! Your's are just as beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYour church ladies must have loved their gift!!
These bags are just so cute! I'm going to have to break down and try to make one.
ReplyDeleteHow sweet to make one for each of your church ladies. I'm sure they were thrilled.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Oh I like them! I think you did a great job!
ReplyDeleteSandra
Way to cute!! And to make it even better I found the same bags yesterday at our Simply a Dollar store for $1~ I am really excited since I have a bunch of scrap material laying around!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a super cute idea! I may have to give it a try and make one for myself or a gift.
ReplyDeleteOnce again I am speechless! These are soooooo cute! I want one for my diaper bag. lol
ReplyDeleteI saw those on Susie's blog, too. I don't know if our Wal-Mart in Canada has them, but I think I will look. Perhaps I could make one for my friend Wendy, (her comment just before mine here). Do you have any suggestions regarding the making of rosettes? I made the twist and glue ones, they came out okay, but your ruffled ones look great, too. Both of yours look wonderful, I'm sure your ladies LoVeD them.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Cindy S
I'm the proud owner of that first bag. It's too pretty to put away so it's hanging on a knob for all to see. Thanks, Britt, for taking the time to make it for me. I love it and you!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE these!!...I see a project in my future!!
ReplyDeleteI stumbled you post and add to my tumblr blog!!
Brittany they are so cute! Love the black and white one. Pretty!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed day sweet friend. ~Melissa :)
Hello,
ReplyDeletethe idea for bags is more than nice its perfect.
I would like to try to make some bags but i cant find the instructions .
Can you post them again?
Thanks
Hi again Brittany! Fantastic! Great way to use up small left over fabric strips!!! Gotta try this! - Sincerely, Jeannette
ReplyDeleteAck! This is so cute!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I found you through a pin on Pinterest. :) LOVE the bag with all of the ruffles!
ReplyDeleteWOW WOW WOW!! These are amazing! Love them! :):):):):):):):):):):):)
ReplyDeleteI love your bags. So cute. I will be linking you from my blog danggoodfinds.com on Friday, August 12, 2011. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteyour bags are super cute!! tfs
ReplyDeleteSpotted this on Pinterest - I love it!
ReplyDeleteAdorable. Saw on Pinterest. Did you glue on the ruffles or sew the on? Was wondering how you were able to get the sewing head inside the bag? Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I did sew the ruffles on. You just have to scrunch up the bag a little to get to the one on the bottom row, but it's really not too hard. I'm sure it would also work to hot glue the ruffles on, I haven't tried it that way.
ReplyDeleteLove your clever projects...can't wait to follow you and your ideas :-)
ReplyDeleteI stumbled upon your blog and just love your tote bags. Who won't right? I don't sew and I needed a new tote or purse badly for the one I carry now hurt my shoulder and you are so brilliant to use the already made tote. It just perfect for what I am looking for. Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be going to wal-mart to grab some of the those tote. Wish me luck in making those totes.
ReplyDeleteDear Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI saw your bag on Pinterest. I thought it was SO cute! I just had to make one of my own. I posted it on my blog along with a link to this post. I used a picture from your blog, but I will happily remove it if you would rather I didn't use it. I love your blog and I am now aq follower. Thanks for sharing such cute ideas!
Suzy
http://littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com/2012/03/ruffled-tote-bag.html
Spotted this on Pinterest and LOVED it! Want to make one for my mum - thanks for sharing and inspiring me!
ReplyDeleteThese are great! so pretty! I bet all the ladies loved them!
ReplyDeleteI'm a little late to the party but wanted to say these tote bags are ADORABLE!!! Another project to add to my list!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI love all ruffled bags.
Greetings olga from Germany